The Cherry Fork Presbyterian Church has a rich heritage that dates back 200 years.
The church had its origin as an Associate Reformed Presbyterian Church. This congregation was originally known as the Eagle Creek Associate Reformed Presbyterian Church, which began in 1804. In 1805, members living near Cherry Fork Creek organized a separate congregation.
The first church building at Cherry Fork was a log structure erected in 1804 in what is now the Cherry Fork Cemetery. In 1833, a new structure was built to take the place of the old log structure. The new building was constructed of brick and measured 50 feet by 50 feet. In 1854, steps were takin to build a new church to accomodate the growing size of the congregation. This building was built on the same site as the previous two building and measured 70 feet by 50 feet and had 22 foot ceilings. When completed, it was considered one of the largest and best arranged country churches in the state. This church was known far and wide as the "Brick Church."
In 1906, the old brick building was torn down and a new church was constructed at the north end of Cherry Fork, near the parsonage. This building is still in use today.
In 1950, The Cherry Fork congregation became a yoked pastorate with the Seaman United Presbyterian Church. The yoke remained for many years.
In 1970, the members of the former Eckmansville Presbyterian Church merged with the Cherry Fork Church. As this time, the church undertook a new addition which included Sunday School rooms, restrooms, and a new kitchen. This addition was completed and dedicated in 1975.
Old Brick Church (1854-1906)
The Cherry Fork Presbyterian Church offers a wide variety of age appropriate curriculum for our church school which meets every Sunday after church. We are blessed to have active youth leaders from our church as well. In addition, in conjunction with the Seaman United Presbyterian Church, we hold an annual Vacation Bible School and Youth Christmas Program with youth from both churches and communities participating.
In addition to the youth, we are grateful for the Women's Association and their annual Ice Cream Social and Oyster Supper which are both very widely received throughout the area.
In 2004, the Cherry Fork Presbyterian Church celebrated its 200 years of service to the Lord. A bicentennial celebration was held at the church and special services and trips were held over a two day period.
In 2006, the Cherry Fork Presbyterian Church once again celebrated a moment in the church's history. This time, we celebrated the centennial of the building in which we currently worship, which was built in 1906.
The Cherry Fork Presbyterian Church is a church that is rich in heritage and proud of its history. The members continue to serve the lord and are active within the community as well. The church is currently blessed with slightly more than 100 members. Today, we embrace our past, but envision our future.